How do I register for a course?
You can register online, mail or by phone.
Online: You can register online by selecting the register now box under each course or by clicking here to view all Lifelong Community Learning Offerings. You can view the course offerings and when you find the course you want, you select it and follow the prompts to register. All online registrations require a credit card and are handled through a secure website. The credit card charges will state "Lifelong Learning" on the billing.
Telephone: Call our office Monday through Thursday from 1:00 PM to 7:00 PM at 508-613-1480.
US Mail: Download a Lifelong Community Learning registration form or Kids' Corner registration form and mail it to us with your check payable to the Town of Franklin. Our address is Lifelong Community Learning, Franklin High School, 218 Oak Street, Franklin, MA 02038.
Do I have to live in Franklin to take a course?
You do not need to live in Franklin to attend courses. All registrants must be 18 years of age in order to participate in Lifelong Community Learning classes. There are two exceptions: (1) Kids' Corner classes, where students are grouped according to their grade levels, and (2) any class involving alcohol demonstrations and/or tastings - students must be 21 years of age to participate.
Do you offer online courses?
. Yes, we offer online courses through ed2go and Gatlin Education Services. Select Virtual Academy for more information.
Are refunds available if I withdraw from a course?
Course Withdrawal Policy
- If you withdraw from a course two weeks prior to the course start date, you will receive a full refund, less a $10 processing fee.
- If you withdraw from a course between 7 to 14 days before the course start date, you will receive a refund for half of the registration fee, less a $10 processing fee.
- If you withdraw less than 7 days before the course start date, there are no refunds, no credits, unless there is a medical reason and it is documented by a physician. A documented medical statement from a physician will allow the registrant to receive a full refund for the class, less a $10 processing fee.
Are courses ever cancelled?
Lifelong Community Learning reserves the right to cancel any course due to low enrollment. If your course is cancelled, you can either request a full refund or transfer to another course of your choice, space permitting. Please register at least two weeks prior to the start of a Lifelong Community Learning class. We depend on student tuition to run classes and pay instructors and need to plan accordingly.
Do you offer discounts?
People 65 years of age and older and town employees may enroll in most courses at a 10% discount. Some restrictions apply. There is no senior or town employee discount on food and wine courses or off-site courses with private providers.
What if it snows?
Classes will be made up if postponed due to extreme weather conditions or at the request of the instructor. If there is a storm, call the office at 508-613-1480 or check our website for cancellation information. Please read the Franklin Public Schools Inclement Weather and School Closing Information.
If the instructor needs to cancel a class, we will advise you via the email you listed on your registration form.
Where are the schools located?
- Franklin High School, 218 Oak Street
- Davis Thayer Elementary School, 137 West Central Street
- Jefferson Elementary School, 628 Washington Street
- Helen Keller Elementary School, 500 Lincoln Street
- John F. Kennedy Elementary School, 551 Pond Street
- Oak Street Elementary School, 224 Oak Street
- Parmenter Elementary School, 235 Wachusett Street
- Horace Mann Middle School, 224 Oak Street
- Remington Middle School, 628 Washington Street
- Annie Sullivan Middle School, 500 Lincoln Street
How can I submit a course proposal?
You can download the Lifelong Community Learning Course Proposal and return to the Lifelong Community Learning office.
Where is Lifelong Community Learning located and what are the hours?
The office is located in Franklin High School, 218 Oak Street and is open Monday through Thursday, from 1:00 to 7:00 PM when classes are in session. Please use the entrance with the Panther over the door.
You can also reach us by phone at (508) 613-1480 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When is Community Walking?
Franklin residents are invited to walk on the high school track or in the hallways. Walking will be available Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM when Lifelong Community Learning classes are in session. There is no walking during school vacations. Walkers may use the elevated track when there are no games taking place in the gym. When there are games in the gym, walkers may use the high school hallways on the first floor. There will be signs in the lobby to inform walkers whether the track or hallways are available.
Walkers should enter the Panther Door and go to the Lifelong Community Learning office to sign-in and receive a guest lanyard. When they are finished walking, they go back to the office, sign-out, and return their guest lanyard. The sign-in/sign-out process and the wearing of guest lanyards are part of the school safety protocol.